Channeling Your Inner Meggin (By Gini Cunningham)


Photo of Laughing Woman in Black Dress Sitting on Brown Wooden Bench by a Lake

Everyone needs a mentor, someone who supports and guides to self-discovery and understanding. While family plays a valuable role in helping, a mentor offers gifts that come in no other way. A mentor is a coach, a counselor, a teacher, and an advisor who observes with fresh eyes and no preconceived notions or past history and no worry about being too honest. My mentor is Meggin.

Meggin was my instructor and advisor in my masters program at the university. An excellent teacher and presenter, she inspired me with her genuineness and enthusiasm, her honesty and openness. I worked to model my behaviors and attitudes to reflect the positivity she exemplified. She taught me much about reading instruction and literacy, but she taught me even more about myself. When I hesitate, she reinforces, when I stumble she provides a boost, when I meander off my designated, self-designed path she assists me with realignment. She never accomplishes this by being pushy or overbearing. Rather she asks the questions that lead me to my inner-most being. Everything Meggin does empowers the "me" held within my heart and soul.

In high school I had the confidence of the world and feared nothing and no one. During my years at the university, I slowly became lost in nervous anxiety. While I could fake it pretty well most of the time with outward bravado, inside I shivered when I met new people or encountered odd situations. I was fine on my own - I spent a year studying in Europe and primarily traveling alone, glad to be able to see and learn in my unique method. When I returned I became teacher. Although first day jitters often consumed me, once I got rolling, poise and self-reliance soared. In front of my eager students and at their side, I had unlimited sureness which stimulated more of the same for them.

By 30 I felt better about myself in most situations. My roles then included wife, mother, teacher, and coach. As I broadened my base I extended my talents and capabilities. Born with a love of learning every class encouraged more reflection and learning and so I added more teaching certifications to my repertoire and more thoughts and ideas to my brain. This permitted me to teach K-12 through college in a variety of subjects and in multiple schools. All of this enhanced my positive outlook and outward reach, but I still held some quivering within.

Recently a job opportunity came my direction. It was one for which I basically wrote the description and determined the salary. Writing the outline was fairly easy as it was for a mentoring position with teachers, something I enjoy and to which I am dedicated. In this case the project included new teachers as well as experienced teachers who needed assistance, a group of individuals for whom I hold great passion. As the requirements of the profession become ever greater it is essential to support and assist new teachers as they get their feet on the ground and navigate the ins and outs of the classroom. My salary request was another story.

I recognized that the district wanted me but I was nervous about asking for money. How do you apply for something you love, a job that you have been doing for free for eight years, and then ask for money? Hmmm. I wiggled the hours, the days, the amount of time each new hire might need. Then I fiddled and faddled and pulled a number out of the air. It seemed outrageous (again, I have been supplying expertise at no cost) and then I added some more. When I felt semi-confident, I emailed my proposal to Meggin. Immediately I had a response.

"You are not an hourly worker!" she exclaimed, "And while you are offering a tremendous service you are not requesting adequate funding. It's time to channel your Meggin."

Channeling my Meggin was a wonderful, passionate experience. I took Meggin at her word and jotted down all of the talents and abilities I possess, dug deep into my soul for how I could help every teacher reach excellence or at least an version of excellence, and I shook out my fear. Channeling Meggin entailed reigniting belief in myself and what I have to offer, applauding attitudes and qualities that I alone possess. After settling on these good feelings and aptitudes, I headed out the door for a jog to let all of this gloriousness settle.

Wow-ee-yay! My self-assurance buoyed and then elevated my spirit as I eyed the sky for inspiration and self-belief. I danced a jig and sang a happy song, then returned to my computer, revamped my proposal, and requested a competitive wage tied to my integrity and not an hour by hour grind. Everybody needs a Channeling Meggin. Do you have yours?



http://ezinearticles.com/?Channeling-Your-Inner-Meggin&id=9124209

No comments:

Post a Comment