Dealing With Self-Doubt



Have you ever dreamed of doing something bigger than just your standard daily grind? Have you ever wanted to start a business or write a book? Do you ever hear a little voice inside your head? You know the voice. It's your negative alter ego telling you your dreams are just that dreams. The voice tells you you're not smart enough, rich enough, or creative enough. That little voice has plagued me for many years, and it was only recently I got the nerve to tell it to SHUT UP! I will never understand why we all have that little voice, but we all know it is self-doubt. Even the most confident person deals with self-doubt, and it doesn't go away. You can be living your dream, and still have moments you question your capabilities. Even though it may be a lifelong battle, here are some questions to ask yourself when that negative feeling creeps into your mind.

If you never reached your goals, would you be satisfied?

I began to ask myself that question when fear and doubt became crippling. I felt confined to the point I was suffocating. Terror came over me when I thought of never pursuing my dream. That feeling outweighed any doubt or fear that I had that I might fail. The fear of not at least trying lit a fire in me, and I haven't looked back since.

Where did your self-doubt originate?

We are born with a level of confidence, but as we get older, our experiences shape the way we think. Did you have parents or family members that were negative? Were they quitters? Did they predict a negative outcome before even attempting the task? If you've grown up around people with these attitudes, it is hard to break the pattern. Read positive thinking self-help books. Attend events and networking events with people that share the same interests. Surround yourself with people that want to see you win.

Can you accept failure?

We all know failure is a very unpleasant situation. I've read many books and heard lots of speeches embracing failure. Who are they kidding? When you fail, it feels like the whole world is watching and laughing at you. When you have minor successes, no one pays attention. Failure is not an excuse to give up on what you want to do. Keep in mind this relates to attainable goals. If you're trying to be a pilot, but have never taken a flying lesson, that's not attainable. The journey to build something out of nothing is not paved in gold. You will have stumbling blocks along the way. When you stumble, take a step back, regroup, and continue to push through.

I've failed plenty of times, and the more I failed, the louder the voice of self-doubt got. But even though the negative voice was loud, my dream always screamed louder.


http://ezinearticles.com/?Dealing-With-Self-Doubt&id=9952747

No comments:

Post a Comment