Make Yourself Interesting and Learn to Talk to Strangers (By Norma Holt)


As a senior person many my age complain they are lonely and have nothing much to do. In other words, they are bored and frustrated. When one reaches a certain age it seems that you are no longer needed and when you ask for help from family members they often develop a problem with their health or mind that prevents them from taking you on. At least that is my experience.

Fortunately, I am neither lonely or bored but sometimes get frustrated. My life has always been full of interesting journeys and achievements. That has led me to write articles, like this one, publish some books, build my web sites, and join in conversations with people on social media, and so on.

It is, however, only a part of my reaching out and being accepted. Because of my interest in most things friends can be made as simply as talking to someone in the supermarket. Yesterday, for instance, I was looking for a special extending broom in one particular shop. A lady was looking at something else when I casually pointed out that it looked interesting.

This ended up in conversation for almost half an hour as she became engrossed in my work and was keen to follow it up. She is going to Norway on a trip and by pointing out where she can see some great archaeological rock art she was so fascinated that she took my card too read my web-sites and we will remain in touch.

Today while getting some photos developed from my camera a lady who was developing her pictures had one of kangaroos exposed. This drew me in because as an artist who paints kangaroos my comment about her work engaged us in an hour-long conversation. She has invited me to join her on an early morning walk where she captures images of native animals.

These are just 2 examples to share how easily it is to make friends. My presence at the local gym has brought me many friends as well. Because it is such a wonderful place for women only we can engage in conversations either while on the walkers, bikes, or in classes.

There are ample ways of engaging and befriending people if one has the interest. Boring people are the ones who are most lonely. That is a warning for anyone to look beyond their comfort zone and take on such things as classes to learn skills and to become engaged in stuff they might otherwise not consider.

Before long when meeting new people, they will also learn about my experience of reincarnation and of how that has led me through life. People love things like this because it makes them think outside the square. Probably that is the best way to break the ice and communicate. If doesn't even have to be your own experience as long as you have something to contribute and are willing to listen to them as well.


http://ezinearticles.com/?Make-Yourself-Interesting-and-Learn-to-Talk-to-Strangers&id=9801492

No comments:

Post a Comment