"A man without a purpose is like a ship without a rudder - a waif, and nothing, a no man." Thomas Carlyle
What is it that drives you? Everyone is driven by something either good or bad. You may be driven in the moment by a problem, a pressure, or a deadline. These things are only temporary. However many of us are driven by some unconscious belief, fear, or painful memory. The Bible in Ecclesiastes 1:2, "Vanity of vanities, all is vanity." Without a clear and concise purpose all is vanity and the wrong things drive us. Here are some of the things that keep you from your destiny and calling in Christ.
1. People are driven by guilt. Guilt will make you sabotage your own success. There is some action in your past that made you feel guilty or someone made you feel guilty for something. We are all products of our past but we don't have to be prisoners of our past.
2. People are driven by resentment and anger. Some people hold on to hurts and never get over them. It's like failing to forgive someone for something they did in the past to you. It hurts you more than it hurts them. Your offender has probably forgotten all about it but if you hold this pain inside you it can keep you from doing God's will for your life.
3. People are driven by fear. That's me. I was driven by fear for many years. Fear is a self-imposed prison that will keep you from doing the will of God for your life. Fears can result from a lot of things like a traumatic experience, growing up in a very controlling home, unrealistic expectations, and even genetic predisposition. Fear driven people miss a lot of great opportunities.
4. People are driven by materialism. Many people, especially those of us in the Western World base our happiness on material things. We get our security from the material. The thing is possessions only provide temporary happiness. Once the happiness runs out we need more stuff to make us feel secure and happy again.
5. People are driven by the need for approval. Many adults are trying to gain the approval of other people because they could never get the approval of their parents. That's me also. I always tried to be a people pleaser because I couldn't get the approval of my dad. He died and I never got his approval. We can't be controlled by the opinions of others or we will miss Gods purpose for our lives.
All of these things that can drive us will lead to the same thing, unused potential, unnecessary stress, and an unfulfilled life. They keep you from your destiny. If you want to have the life that will fulfill your destiny you must go to the giver of life and ask Him to heal you and fill you with the proper emotions for the task ahead.