Do It, Get Into Action



Nike's brilliant slogan, "Just Do It" has been running through my head for hours.

I've got a deadline for a blog post I committed to writing for a colleague and I just can't get my thoughts together.

Oh, sure I've sat at my desk and stared at the blank screen for a while but nothing happened.

I mean I waited... but nothing. Nada. Zippo. Zilch.

So, I stood up and headed out to the deck for a little sunshine and inspiration.

On the way, I walked through the kitchen and realized that I didn't unload the dishwasher from last night.

So I did that.

And, while I was in the kitchen I decided to wipe up the counters as I didn't do that after breakfast.

And, then I went back to my office.

I wrote the three lines, re-read them, and realized that something was off so I deleted them all.

Then, I hopped over to Facebook, hoping that I would find a little inspiration from one of my friends.

Instead, I clicked on 5 puppy videos that, while entertaining, took 20 minutes of my time and now I am much closer to my deadline.

I went back into the kitchen to grab a glass of water and before heading back to my office, I check out what was in the snack cabinet. And, then the refrigerator. And, then the snack cabinet again.

After I finally made it back to my office, I had the glass of water, two peppermint patties (just little ones) and what I thought was a great idea.

But, when I sat down in front of my blank screen, the idea was gone.

Does this scenario or an iteration of it sound familiar to you?

The good news is I pulled myself together and got it done before the deadline. Woo-hoo!

Here are the 5 simple steps I took to get into action so I could get the blog post written. They're easy-peasy and you can do them, too! (And, it's as easy as rinse and repeat every time!)

1. Make the commitment. When you have a firm commitment to a person, place or organization vs. focusing solely on the task, it's easier to get started.

2. Get into your body. When you're stuck, it's often because you're in your head and not your body. If you go for a walk or just move, it will empty your mind and the ideas will start flowing.

3. Ensure that you are working at the best hours of the day for you. You have a time of day where you are at peak performance. Do your most important tasks then.

4. Remove distractions. Close down FB, phone, etc. and focus on your one action item. No multi-tasking!

5. Just do it. Need I say more?!?

And, remember to celebrate!

http://ezinearticles.com/?Do-It,-Get-Into-Action&id=9403898

No comments:

Post a Comment