Have you ever heard someone exclaim, "I don't believe in fairy tales!" or "Grow Up! Life is not a fairy tale"? Am sure you have. Most people believe fairy tales are for children and generally about the triumph of good over evil! Now honestly to an extent that is true but if one was to look deeper into the story much profound lessons of life emerge from them. Just that we may have never noticed! Let's take a look at Cinderella, one of the most popular fairy tales of all time. We all love to hear about the magical night when a young woman triumphs over her mean stepsisters and stepmother.
The story has been used as a metaphor to call all kinds of events a Cinderella story as long as things turn out well for a likeable underdog. But there's more to the story than meets the eye.
Let's take a look at what this princess can teach us about punctuality, patience, and power.
Cinderella Lessons about Punctuality
Do you remember the part when Cinderella puts herself in danger by breaking the promise to her fairy godmother about coming home from the ball before midnight? Do you remember what Cinderella is feeling at that time? She is under tremendous stress! Isn't she? What do you think you could learn from that?
- Know your priorities. Cinderella broke her deadline because she was having so much fun at the ball. Being mindful of your priorities will help you keep your eye on your goals even when you are having too much fun!
- Keep your word. Live up to your promises, especially when you are dealing with your fairy godmother or anyone who has been generous with you. Show others that you are respectful of their time.
- Time management. Does time slip away from you? Use the alarm function on your mobile to remind you of appointments or use a proper time planner.
- Plan your day. Maybe you are trying to pack too much into each day. Budget extra time for chores and tasks so you have a little breathing space.
Cinderella Lessons about Patience
Do you remember how badly Cinderella's stepmother and stepsisters insulted her and made her do all the housework? All the difficulties Cinderella had to suffer? She never ever got a chance to relax! What do you think we could learn from that?
- Enjoy what you do. One reason Cinderella is so appealing is because she stayed cheerful even while washing dishes and sweeping floors. Look for the purpose behind your daily tasks to make them more meaningful.
- Stay focused on your dreams. Cinderella did not give up on her dreams just because she did not receive an invitation to the ball. If you run into an obstacle, find other ways to reach your goals.
- Overcome adversity. Cinderella was always finding creative ways to take care of her needs. Likewise you can also find opportunities in challenging situations.
Cinderella Lessons about Power
It would be fair if someone would critic that Cinderella was passive. After all, what would have happened if the prince didn't show up to rescue her? What do you think you could possibly learn from that?
- Take charge of your future. If you want to succeed, create your own magic. Miraculous things can happen even when you don't have a fairy godmother or prince to help you. Thinking intentionally and putting your heart into your work will prepare you for incredible triumphs.
- Genuinely care for the people in your life. Cinderella remained humble despite her new fame and fortune. She invited her family to come and live with her in the palace. Sharing your blessings with others will strengthen your relationships whether you live in a palace or an apartment.
- Be genuine. Cinderella's heartfelt goodness didn't change with her attire. It remained the same whether she was dressed in rags or an evening gown. If you are authentic you will find a path and build a legacy that fits you just like the glass slipper that hugged Cinderella's foot.
It takes more than glass slippers and pumpkins turning into coaches to create a Cinderella story. Being focused and driven on your goals and living intentionally with a genuine loving heart and unshakable code of honor will help you create your own happy ending.