Valentine's Day come once a year, though it ought to be everyday.
Here are a few random thoughts, observations and tips for and about Valentine's Day:
- I often refer to Valentine's Day as "amateur night." What I mean by that is this: if you truly feel strongly toward another person, you don't have to have a special day to show it. You ought to be showing it all the time. At the same time, this does not let you off the hook on February 14th.
- And speaking of February 14th, there is something very important that most guys tend to forget about Valentine's Day. It's the same day every year, February 14th, the 45th day of the year. I'll say it again, February 14th. This means you can plan for it. Therefore, any guy reading this has been warned, and if you find yourself with several other said sacks scouring the card racks the night before, or even worse, the day of, to play off the immortal words of Jimmy Buffett, it's your own damn fault. And most women can tell the difference between a last minute card and one that was selected with care. Don't ask me how, they just can, and they're not telling.
- Heard about the 12 Days of Christmas? What about the 7 days of Valentine's Day? Just a thought...
- Not sure what to do for Valentine's Day? That means you have not been paying attention all year. So I'm here to rescue you if you have the guts to run with my suggestion. Ask your partner what would make a perfect Valentine's Day for him or her. Then to whatever extent possible, to the best of your ability, make it happen. And do not fall for the "Oh I don't need anything" line. Dangerous territory indeed.
- As part of Valentine's week, take over a chore your partner does not like.
- Here's one of my favorites: record a CD or create a playlist of your partner's favorite music. include some that express how you feel about your love.
- If you are currently doing in the relationship that is not working or is just plain old and tired, remember the first rule of ruts: when you find yourself in one, stop digging! Find something, almost anything, to do something differently. Use your creativity.
- Lastly, come up with 2 different plans for Valentine's Day. Choose one and do it. Then do the other one 3 months from now. Rinse and repeat.
- Just for fun: "I don't understand why Cupid was chosen to represent Valentine's Day. When I think about romance, the last thing on my mind is a short, chubby toddler coming at me with a weapon." ~ Author Unknown