Are you finding yourself being pulled in a million directions, over worked and just generally stressed out? Join the club! We are definitely living in a time starved world and relaxing body and mind is becoming increasingly hard to do. We don't have time to relax. We don't have time to devote to self care and self love. We don't have time to truly take care of ourselves. Or do we? We've got 8 tips for total body relaxation that aren't difficult. Some of these relaxation techniques can be done anywhere and in five minutes. Everyone has 5 minutes to relax. Do it for yourself!
1. Deep Breathing - There are many deep breathing techniques to help with stress and relaxation. We like the 4-7-8 method. Inhale for 4 counts, hold your breath for 7 counts and smoothly exhale for 8 counts. Repeat a few times and focus on letting all of the stress out of your body as you exhale. This takes just one minute to start relaxing body and mind.
2. Massage - There's nothing better than relieving physical tension. Many of us carry our stress and tension in our shoulders. They might tend to burn and ache as you sit at your desk daily. Try a chair massage to loosen tight muscles. 15 minutes can help tremendously but a true one hour or 80 minute massage might be more effective.
3. Progressive Muscular Relaxation - PMR is the practice of tensing up muscles and then releasing them to promote relaxation. We like to start with our feet, tensing and relaxing every muscle group for a few seconds as we move all the way up the body to the face. For example, clench your toes tight and then take a nice big inhale. Exhale and let your feel relax. After a full round of this, you'll be well on your way to total body relaxation.
4.Visualization - Close your eyes, even if just for a minute, and visualize that you are relaxed and in your favorite location. If you love the mountains, visualize that you're completely relaxed and stress free enjoying the scenery and fresh air of the mountains. Let your mind escape to a place of complete happiness and peace. This can be done for minutes or hours.
5. Yoga - Practicing yoga and achieve balance within body and mind. There are many different types of yoga to explore. Gaining strength, flexibility and releasing stress within the whole body may be achieved by practicing yoga. There are many types of yoga to explore to find the style that suits you the most.
6. Essential Oils - Essentials oils can be a great way to relax. They can be used topically, diffused in a room diffuser or sprayed with a mix of essential oils and water to freshen up a room. Lavender is especially nice for relaxation.
7. Music - Listening to your favorite relaxing music can also help put your mind in a relaxed state. Spa music, light jazz and orchestral are some ideas of where to start. Your favorite type of music, whether a specific genre or not, is also a great idea. Any type of music that puts you in a good mood and mindset will do the trick.
8. Laughter - Laughter is a sure fire way to help relax you completely. Whether you spend time with friends and family to laugh or visit your local comedy club, laughing is important and can help reduce stress.