What would it mean to your professional and personal life if you could reliably influence others? Very few abilities are as extensive in their advantages.
Persuade others to align with your mindset:
1. Produce a connection with those you wish to influence. Whether you're aiming to influence a single person or a thousand, it is essential to produce relationships. The level of trust and connection you can develop will directly influence your capability to affect others. This is an essential first step. There are lots of ways to establish a connection.
Show what you share in common.
Mirror and match the other person's body movements and gestures.
Be sincere and real.
Show others that you can be trusted.
2. Be convincing. You might feel very small and insecure, however holding yourself in that manner won't encourage anybody that they should follow you. There are a number of ways we show an absence of conviction, such as body language, using qualifiers like "I think, probably, maybe and possibly," and absence of eye contact.
Stand tall, look them in the eye, and present your viewpoint like it's an apparent truth. Your self-confidence is key.
3. Use reciprocity to your advantage. Research studies reveal that you're far more likely to return a favor after someone does something for you. That's why the people who knock on your door and aim to offer you vinyl siding offer you a pen or a magnet. They understand that you'll be more likely to buy from them.
Do something for the individual you're trying to persuade. You might buy them lunch, drive them to the airport, or let them borrow a cup of sugar.
Do something for them prior to you trying to persuade and influence them. Your odds of success will increase drastically.
4. Consider their interests. Even the most honorable of people question what's in it for them. Make it clear exactly what they'll be receiving out of the deal. Your neighbor might not want to accept your idea of building a fence between your properties. Nevertheless, he may change his mind if you can show him the advantages he'll be enjoying.
You might explain that your dog will stop leaving "gifts" on his lawn.
It may help the resale value of his house.
It may minimize the amount of weeds on your lawn spreading to his.
It will increase his level of privacy.
5. Be an excellent listener. The other party matters a lot. We tend to only consider ourselves when we're aiming to be influential, however this is a serious error. Open your ears and close your mouth. When you comprehend the needs of the other individual, you'll understand how to influence them.
6. Develop yourself as an authority. If you hung around with the Dalai Lama and wrote three books on meditation, your viewpoints on the subject of meditation are much more likely to be valued and appreciated. Wearing a suite would convey authority in the right setting.
Persuasion is a highly researched topic. There are countless resources if you wish to learn more. The capability to influence others is useful both in and outside of work. Invest some time in practicing this important skill. You'll be glad you did!