"The Difference Between Success And Failure Is The Ability To Take Action" - Alexanndre Graham Bell
The above quote by Alexandre Graham Bell aptly describes the harmful effects of Procrastination.
The year 2017 has continued on its natural journey. Right now, we're approaching the end of the second quarter - five months out of twelve months are already gone.
Ask yourself the question "How far have I gone in achieving my targets for the year?" Your honest answer to this question will determine how you continue on your road map to achieving your goals for 2017.
Every one of us has the tendency to delay taking required action at one time or the other. Some people will continue postponing taking action until the issue at hand loses relevance. For some others, deferring taking action is a way of life.
Dangers Of Not Taking Action (procrastination)
A person that is used to postponing taking action on important tasks runs the risk of the following:
- Missing great opportunities
- Unnecessary delays in taking action can lead to loss of huge opportunities that could make a lot of positive difference in someone's life.
- Maybe, you have a great business idea but you kept postponing implementation. Some months/years later someone else implements the same idea with fantastic financial rewards.
- Continuously failing to achieve set goals
- Procrastination is a thief of time. When you continue deferring to take action, you will fail to meet up with goals you set for yourself and your business.
- Developing low self- esteem and loss of self - confidence
- When you continue delaying to take action, you lack behind in everything. As you see others achieving, you begin to lose confidence in yourself and your self- esteem will nose dive.
- Eventual collapse of the Home Based Business.
A Home Based Entrepreneur thrives on ability to juggle different tasks simultaneously, being proactive and taking action whenever necessary. Therefore an entrepreneur who indulges in procrastination will eventually destroy his/her business sooner than later.
So How Do You Overcome This Very Bad Habit?
If you want to succeed as a Home Based Business Owner, you must be able to take difficult and critical decisions without unnecessary delays.
I will mention here, some of my tried and trusted ways of overcoming procrastination:
- Break down the Task into smaller bits until you're motivated to act
- Apply the Pareto principle. Devote more time and energy to the most important twenty percent of your daily activities.
- Spend more time with action oriented people - achievers
- Seek out Influencers in your niche/business sector and ask for advice
- Don't Be Too Emotional when taking decisions
- Ensure you have verifiable data at your disposal
- Be mindful of the consequences of your action
If you look around you, you'll discover that most successful people don't procrastinate. Why?
This is because they have developed the required skills and enforced discipline, to stay focused and take necessary action whenever the need arises.
You can only overcome this bad habit of procrastination by becoming a man or woman of action. When you become action oriented, you overcome inertia and the momentum will propel you to greater heights of achievement and success.
So decide today to become a man/ woman of action and the forces of nature will work in sync with your actions to help you succeed.
Have you experienced procrastination or you know someone who has suffered or is suffering from it?