Do you feel you are stuck in a rut?
Are you on a treadmill, getting nowhere, no sense of achievement or satisfaction from your daily activities. Do you feel undervalued at work and frustrated that you are not doing something more meaningful with your life. Does the future look dim?
What causes the rut?
One thing leads to another. The cause of the problem could be fear of change, a belief that things can't change or putting your material needs i.e. money, above and to the exclusion of your needs for creativity, passion etc. The cause could be a lack of knowledge about your needs that aren't being met.
How do you get out of the rut?
One strategy is to identify the needs that aren't being fulfilled. Once you have identified the needs that aren't being met, the solution usually comes easily. The CNVC organization has a list of human needs and Tony Robbins has a list of his six core emotional needs. To help discover your needs imagine the life you want compared to now and notice what is missing. The next step is to find a way to meet the missing needs.
Here are some examples of needs and ways to meet them.
· Notice how much you have learned in your lifetime
· Challenge yourself physically eg take your health to the next level
· Challenge yourself mentally eg set personal challenges for yourself with work tasks
· Look for new job opportunities.
· Notice the small things in life that are different each day
· Mix up your routines eg drive to work a different way
· Spend time on your passion
· Write a list of 10 minutes activities that you love and do them.
3. Love and Connection:
· Acknowledge your strengths and positive qualities - write them down
· Meet up with good friends regularly
· Enjoy quality family time
· Do something nurturing for yourself
· Notice how you are contributing in your present circumstances
· Use your unique qualities to help someone out
· Write out a list of goals you would like to achieve.
· Do one small activity each day that gets you closer to your goal.
· Make a focus board
Identifying and meeting your needs is one strategy to get you out of a work-life balance rut.
It is a simple and effective technique.
If you have any questions about this process or other processes to improve the quality of your lifestyle please contact me: