5-Second Rule - Pick It Up, Blow It Off, and Eat It


"The 5-second rule for food dropped on the ground does not work if you have a 2-second dog!"

Studies have been done. The myth, long held in families, that food dropped on the ground scooped up within 5-seconds, is safe to eat. The idea being, it must be picked up within 5-seconds.

Haven't we all been faced with that snap decision of whether to eat or discard? How many of us blow off the morsel and eat it anyway? I think even us germaphobes have had it flit through our minds that maybe this time I'll take a chance!

Is it truly safe to eat food that has dropped onto the floor?

As one of my women friends replied when I asked if they did this, "Of course I eat it. I haven't died yet!" We all chuckled as she said this. Each of us knowing we too have snapped up something and eaten it anyway!

Is the myth true? Unfortunately, for that tasty morsel that ends up on the ground, science has disproved the 5-second rule (read more about the study if you wish). We are at risk of foodborne contamination.

But what does this have to do with money, money behavior, or your creative endeavors?

Plenty. And, let me share how it relates.

Let's apply the 5-second rule to something else. Let's apply it to those crazy ideas that pop into your head.

You know, those things that make our breath quicken, hearts race, and pump us up. Those ideas that crop up seemingly uninvited. The urges that excite or scare us.

Creative ideas, juicy thoughts, career or business shifts, life changes, or anything that pops up in your mind. It doesn't have to be life altering necessarily -- just attention getting.

How often do you let them pass through and do nothing with them?

All of us have done this -- gotten a great idea, or a crazy one, and tossed it off as unimportant. Ignored it as pie-in-the sky. Decided it was just wishful thinking. Or, decided you'll get back to it later when you have time to deal with it.

There's the big mistake. There's where the 5-second rule applies.

You must, within 5-seconds, grab it and take action. Or, it merrily floats on by, gone forever or lands on someone else to experience or create it.

No kidding. This is serious stuff. At least for those of you who wish to capture your inner most urges, those things that you are meant to be, do, have, or experience.

I almost let Mr. Uppity Frog slip on by. He showed up in a waking dream, a waking message. I get most of my guidance during my first waking awareness. I'm not quite asleep, yet not fully awake either. It's when I'm in a place of open allowance.

And the knowing comes. The message arrives.

In the past, I have often let those float away. I would believe I'd remember once I was truly awake. I would convince myself that my rest was more important in that moment, and drift off without capturing the gift. I've lost many gifts in that way.

Not this time. A voice spoke to me, out loud. Three words were shared with me... THE UPPITY FROG. Say what? I turned over to ignore it.

Once again, only louder... THE UPPITY FROG.

Okay, I got it. Wait! No I don't. Let me immediately write this down. I sat up, pulled out paper from my bedside table and wrote this down. Then came a few more... The Lonely Lobster. The Silent Cougar.

Since that time, I have tried numerous times to just table Mr. Uppity Frog (he did make it known he is a mister!). Thankfully he's pretty darned persistent, even a bit pushy, and won't let him pass me by. His messages are meant to be spoken and taught through me.

Why me? Who knows. I just know that he taught me a valuable lesson. He taught me the value of the 5-second rule.

How about you? Is there something that has nudged you, pushed you, kicked you in the butt, and asked you to pay attention and you have not? Have you tabled that insane idea, a scary one, or one that seems impossible?

Maybe it's time to apply the 5-second rule? Apply it to something other than food. Don't let it pass you by. Pick it up. Run with it. Take an action to say "YES, I hear you!"

I promise you won't regret it. I certainly have not as I continue on the crazy path, yet profound one, of Mr. Uppity Frog. It's nice to have a partner in business -- especially a wise frog!



http://ezinearticles.com/?5-Second-Rule---Pick-It-Up,-Blow-It-Off,-and-Eat-It&id=9625497

No comments:

Post a Comment