At times, it is quite challenging to endure hardship and get back up when life kicks you to the ground. No matter if you want to succeed or just live only, it seems to be an endless cycle of frustrations and victories. However, it should come to no surprise that life is always full of ups and downs.
What do you do when times get tough? Do you retreat into despair and blame other people? Or do you confront your problems courageously and overcome them? How can you withstand hardship?
I understand; it is not comfortable being in situations you have no control over or getting in circumstances that seem to be entirely unfair to you. But issues and problems will undoubtedly find their way into your life because it is normal. Regardless of any hardship, you may face now or later, what is essential is to get back up and move forward.
You have to realize that often, painful experiences in life may come with an eventual advantage. It can offer you the capacity to better appreciate the small pleasures in life and to have a better chance to succeed.
Should I remind you of an example of hardship, such as Abraham Lincoln who failed in business, had a nervous breakdown, and was defeated eight times in elections before becoming president?
Most of us are usually afraid that adversity will get the better of us. But if you think about it, how many times have you gotten past what you thought would be the worst hardship in your life? The answer is obvious! It means that you are alive, you survived, so it only proves that you are stronger.
So, you have to allow each hardship you had to become an opportunity for you to see beyond the load of resentment that you carry with you. You should understand that adversities are a regular and essential part of becoming more mature.
Besides, experiencing any suffering, pain or hardship is a phase of life we cannot escape from and that all of us go through. I agree that when you get older, it is much harder to change your character but not impossible. It just takes longer and more effort to find yourself again and realign your life.
Hardships Create Change
In my own life, I dealt so many times with hardship and failure, and yet I am still here. I had an average family. I had to handle physical abuse, see domestic violence, and even watch friends die. My two marriages were a failure. I worked at so many jobs in so many places, but I often abandoned when I felt like I had failed.
Today, I am a personal growth and success expert who is writing two books. Yet, I still often meet hardship through my desire to succeed even more. You cannot change life happening to you, but you can modify your outcomes to get out successful. It might be hard to do, but it is only a matter of knowing how.
So, you have to be willing to grow, evolve, and change always. By learning from hardship, you help yourself to understand how to endure adversity and overcome the very worst life throws at you.
But how can you be able to endure and overcome all of these hard times?
How to Endure Hardship
Despite all your trials, life continues and can be turned around in your favor. Of course, there are no instant cures for any of the hardships that may arise in your life. But there are, however, some methods to deal with what you encounter.
The ability to endure hardship is what separates successful people from unsuccessful ones.
Accept Hardship as Reality
It is imperative to accept whatever is happening to you because accepting circumstances bring faster understanding, progress and changes. This view and attitude provide quicker solutions which in turn produce results, and you can get back up again, only stronger.
Come to Terms with Adversity
You need to come to terms with what is happening. Look at every hardship as a new experience to improve your life. Life goes on, so make the right decision by moving forward. Stop dwelling on "what could have been" or "what if" situations. You cannot go back. So, accept your new scar, and move on.
Perception is Important
Perception is a crucial element to any hardship. What I mean is that, if you think negative thoughts or have negative emotions while in a situation; well it is going to bring out negative outcomes. So your view and perception are always critical. When hardship hits, you need to have the strength to change your painful feelings by looking at it in a new perspective. It allows you to withstand adversity and to surmount it.
Tips to Endure Hardship
- When hardship hits you, it is not easy to know which emotions it will bring to the surface. So, when such hard times come your way, it requires time and patience on your part. To succeed in surviving adversity is to keep silent, tap into your strengths.
- Rediscover inspiration as it brings hope and desire, which also produce positivity. It helps you to move forward, and away from the pits of despair that trouble you when enduring hardship.
- Take time for yourself. Sit down with no distractions, phone, social media, e-mail, or television. And then listen. Take a look at yourself and catch what your higher-self has to say. Just listen to it.
- Reflect on your current circumstances. Imagine and expect to overcome this challenging situation in your life. See yourself get over the hardship. Learn to master any tough situation and let go your thoughts and emotions.
- Wait for a better outlook and desire within you. Then come up with an escape plan from your current circumstance. Have a vision of where you want to be, then start filling in the details and which way to start moving forward.
- After all of the above, one of the most evident pieces of the puzzle is to take action. I know it is easier said than done but you have no choice if you want to surmount hardship. Many things may hold you back, but you have to act despite feelings.
When it comes to taking action, learn from mistakes or making an actual change, as very few of us follow through. You have to do your best to overcome hardship really, and not just endure it. You need to begin modifying your status quo.
Hardships are part of everyone's lives, but you have to realize and pursue an existence that can bring progress and positive changes to your world. It is better to surround yourself with people who care, want the best for you, and do believe in you.
Throughout life, you face different intensities of hardship, but learn to stay positive so that you can continue to grow and succeed. Finally, you need to see that going through hard times is a standard order of things. Any hardship takes an unbelievable amount of perseverance to get ahead.