Laughter Really Is the Best Medicine (By Kathleen Dwyer-Blair)



One of my favorite things to do is to laugh. I just love how it feels to experience that seemingly uncontrollable belly laugh that jars the body and the system and feeds my soul. It doesn't matter what triggers it.

My Laughter could be triggered by:

• Jimmy Fallon or Tina Fey

• A funny joke a friend tells

• My husband's natural funniness

• Something I've done unexpectedly that makes me laugh at myself

• My dog, Keegan, running around with her squeaky toy shaking her head and booty

• Watching a child dancing, or how they bask in the little wonders of the world

It just feels so delicious and there is no better emotional release, at times, than unabashed laughter.

Did You Have Your Daily Dose of Laughter?

Take notice, do you find yourself laughing often, or is this a rare occurrence? If laughter is uncommon, what may be standing in the way of your laughter, or the ability to find lightness in experiences?

We've talked before how tears are necessary and an amazing and important way of releasing pain, stress, or trauma. Laughter may be equally as important as a way of releasing distressing emotions. Our bodies may even crave laughter, even if we are not aware of it.

Laughter has been known to...

• Lower stress

• Release endorphins to improve mood

• Heighten immunity

• Increase tolerance to pain

• Help enhance and or mend relationships

• Improve relaxation and sleep

... be contagious.

Embracing the Silliness in Life

I feel blessed to have beings in my life that just make me laugh. I do believe that I have manifested this for myself since laughter is so important to me. If laughter is significant to us, it means that we may want to surround ourselves with people and experiences that allow us to laugh.

I do love to share deeply with those in my life and equally love to laugh with them. This for me creates balance. Just allowing ourselves to feel the joy, the silliness, the playfulness, and the levity in our experiences.

"Laughter helps us roll with the punches that inevitably come our way. The power of laughter is unleashed every time we laugh. In today's stressful world, we need to laugh much more."

~ Enda Junkins, LCSW, LMFT, BCD. Known as the Laughing Psychotherapist.

Seeking Out Our Inner Playful Self

If bouts of spontaneous laughter are few and far between, it might be helpful to be mindful of what we do find funny in everyday experiences. Or does life feel so serious that we have not found room for silliness, playfulness, or humor?

If we don't know how to organically tap into our inner playful self, there are ways that we could explore what may help us to laugh.

Finding Your Funny:

Only we can identify what we find funny. If we don't know what makes us laugh, we can take some time to connect and explore possible things that may help to bring out our laughter. If laughter never came naturally, we might need to do a little research to find our funny bone.



No comments:

Post a Comment