Embracing Imperfection (By Paul R Roy)

Man Standing Beside His Wife Teaching Their Child How to Ride Bicycle

A few weeks ago I was discussing with my personal coach that my book when published had some grammar and spelling errors to the point several friends looked at me and said. "Paul, who edited your book?" The truth be known that two people did the editing. Upon telling Marilyn the story we both giggled and then she said "I like the way you are dealing with this. More people need to embrace imperfection."

I did not recheck the editors work. I trusted both of these people and in fact I still do. One was ill and sent the manuscript it to a trusted friend of their's and the other some how dropped the ball. What resulted is that I had to delay the public launch of the book until the revised edits were complete.

I realized that the delay of the public book launch for several months was in fact the best thing. There is no way I would put the book in the book stores with the spelling and grammar errors the first printing of the book possessed. I did not have the time to prepare my new website and plan for book signings and media interviews. This allowed me the time to put the polish on the apple.

Yes, I went ahead with a private launch last fall. The lesson learned is if we wait for it to be perfect we will never launch that new product. Start the new marketing campaign let alone publish that book we have all wanted to write. In my case I was flat out at my day job. I was recovering from reconstructive shoulder surgery and then throw in the launch of the book. I was working to dead lines. The location for the book launch was paid for. The invitations had gone out and the catering order had all been placed. Oops! Lets start over was not an option.

What is it that is holding you back from stepping out and starting that new project. I am not the first to say if we wait for it to be perfect we will never start. Embracing imperfections allows us to make adjustments to the finished product.

It's the start of a new year and anyone worth their salt is writing goals and aspirations for the coming 12 months. Achieving the goal is not as simple as turning on a light bulb. Those of us who know that working toward the goal is the most important part. The reason we wrote the goal is we wanted to be better at something or achieve something we have never done before. We started this process because we are not perfect and never will be. Lighten up and enjoy the ride.



http://ezinearticles.com/?Embracing-Imperfection&id=9610101

No comments:

Post a Comment