Action Taker or Excuse Maker?


There's been a theme to my past week, and it has forced me to answer this question - Am I an action taker or an excuse maker?

I always thought I leaned more towards the action side because I read books on personal development. I listen to audio recordings. I go to seminars however I've realised, I actually don't take as much action as I thought I do. I hear the phrase 'knowledge is power' banded about but in my opinion, the phrase should be 'knowledge is potential power'. It becomes powerful when you use it, otherwise it's just stuff in your head.

Get out of the comfort zone

I've also realised the most dangerous place you can be is when you are comfortable. People only take action because of one of two reasons - inspiration or desperation. When I say comfortable, I'm referring to people who make just enough to cover bills and able to afford the occasional treat. That's comfort! The ones that want a better life but because they 'get by' there is no urgency to have to change. The danger here is, these are the same people who, if circumstances were to change and were to lose their job, would be one pay cheque away from desperation. In turn forcing change.

Of all the people I have spoken to that are making a success of their life or now financially free, 95% are so through desperation. They hit rock bottom and were forced to take action, and because they did so their lives are so much richer for it. So when you think nothing is going your way, just look at it as a bigger force guiding you in the right direction. Because once you hit the bottom, there is only one way you can go, and that is up! Sometimes, you've got to clear out the old before building the new.

Taking Responsibility

I use to blame others if I couldn't do something, or something didn't go my way. He made me late, She forgot to bring it. I've realised I need to just get on with it, I can't blame someone else if I'm unable to go to an event because they didn't come with me. I can't blame my partner for making me late because he didn't get up early enough. If I want to be on time, I'll leave first. This is taking responsibility for my own actions.

You cannot rely on someone else to do it for you. You are responsible for your own life. It's not the government, your parents, or even your spouse. You need to take full responsibility. Until then you will continue to be part of this culture of blame we live in. When you get to a place where there is little outside influence, it won't matter too much, how much money your partner is making, the state of the economy or which party is in power. You will be in a position where you know you will be OK.

How much do you want it?

Realise there is a big difference between I am going to do something and getting something done. It makes me chuckle when I hear people asking for help or advice, and when that advice is given, their answer will immediately be, 'I can't do that because... ' 'I don't have the time... ' 'I can't afford it... ' why ask in the first place? Believe me I have learnt when you really want something bad enough, you will make the time, you will find the finances and you will find a way. You just don't want it enough. You're an excuse maker! Instead of thinking up ways why you can't do something, think of ways how.

No Excuses

I was at an event not too long ago and at the end there was an option to purchase a course. I didn't have to think twice, I had gained so much information in the 2 hours I had just sat through, it was a no brainer for me. The people that didn't want the course left. However as I'm speaking to one of the organisers, I can overhear a lady next to me talking to another member of the team. She was explaining how much she wanted to attend the course, but reasons why she could not! Why did she feel the need to do this? She could have just left. It was as though she had to justify to herself, by saying it out loud! We have become experts in convincing ourselves why we can't do something that will get us what we want!

Take Action

I've heard many successful and inspirational people speak on stage and they all say the same thing - there is nothing special about them. The only difference is, they had a belief and they took action.

If you look back on the last year, 5 years, 10 years of your life, how much of that has changed and changed you? How much of that has gone in the direction you wanted it to go? Now if you continue doing what you are doing today, how much of your life is going to change in the next year to 10 years? Think about it. Every decision you make, every action you do or don't take is either bringing you closer to where you want to be or taking you further away. I know I want a big change and so I'm going to stop making excuses, from today I'm going to be more of an action taker.

Happiness is the ultimate goal in being successful. Life is precious, strive to create and live the life you choose.

Create your day, namaste.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Action-Taker-or-Excuse-Maker?&id=9795999

No comments:

Post a Comment