7 Deadly Excuses that May Be Holding You Back


The man who introduced me in New York sounded like God.
Truly, he had a voice that touched the room of well over 2,000 people. After my speech, I asked him, "Why don't you try a career in public speaking? Maybe you can even start your own podcast or get on the radio."
"Na, I'm too old. Plus, it would take too much time and money. And, anyways, I wouldn't even know where to begin."
To my consternation, I pulled the 6-foot-6-inch giant aside and scolded him further, "Listen, your voice could reach thousands, no, millions of people! Have you ever given it a shot?"
"Everybody tells me that I should, but I'm 57 years old. I've been in mortgage banking for three decades now. I certainly couldn't give that job up to start something new and untested," was his reply.
A few moments later, as I swerved through the hallways, I could hear his thunderous voice telling every one, "The keynote speaker is in the Gallardo Room!" For the first time in my life, even after giving 1,000 speeches myself, I thought he should have been the keynote speaker!
Nonetheless, when you're called to do something, you can't make excuses. This was a perfectly gifted man who had every reason to succeed, yet, he made excuses.
Here are seven deadly excuses that may be keeping you from living your dreams:

1. I'm Not Educated Enough

I always hear people telling me that they can't get started because they don't have a college degree. Many of us have been brainwashed into believing that we have to "go to school and get a job." Because of this, people disable themselves from a race that they could have won. 
These people think that everyone in the world are two times smarter than they are. What they really need is to believe in themselves. We are all smart enough. In fact, we are geniuses. Each of us needs all of us and all of us need each of us. If we found a way to apply our geniuses, there's no telling how far we could go. 

2. I Don't Have Enough Experience

This one's for the credential junkie (i.e. John Smith, MBA, CP3, MTV, BET, TALK, ETC.). Some people think they don't have enough experience, so they worry themselves into not living their dreams. These people are basically saying, "I'm not good enough."
I've also seen people settle for far less. Year after year, they work for minimal compensation without even considering that they are good enough to get paid more. Frankly, we all have experience. It's called "life experience." We can use this for any kind of work we are involved with.

3. I'm Too Old or Young

Ronald Reagan was 69 when he was sworn in as president. In fact, while debating for his second term for president, he told the moderator, "I am not going to exploit my opponent's youth and inexperience."
For those who think they are too young, I was 21 years old when I started my business. Age doesn't matter, unless you think it does. Most people let others tell them that they are too old or young. This excuse only leads to other excuses.

4. I Don't Have the Health

I've heard people with asthma tell me, "I can't lose weight because of my asthma." However, it's not their condition that stops them, it's their limited mindset. Stop telling yourself that you have a bad back. Affirm your health in a positive way instead. 
Helen Keller was blind, deaf, and speechless, yet she was able to make her mark in history. Franklin Delano Roosevelt had polio and was still able to run for three terms during the biggest depression in American history. You can do anything if you put your mind and heart to it. 

5. I Don't Have Enough Time

People who "don't have time" generally don't want to make the time. They want the success, but they won't make it a priority. We all have time to make it happen. What these people are really saying is that they don't know how to get started.
All it takes is a few hours of study and application to get started. If you don't have one hour each day, you don't have a life. If you make time for your dream, the puzzle will work itself in order. Most people are preparing to get prepared, but they rarely end up doing anything because it's too late.

6. No One is Supporting Me

Many people act like they have to succeed by themselves. They'll blame their spouse, kids, parents, and boss for not being able to live their dreams. The fact is that they only have themselves to blame. These people also use the excuse, "I don't live in the right area" or "You don't know what I go through."
If you don't have support, find it. The people who you have around you may have the right intentions of helping you, but may have the wrong directions in leading you. You have to search diligently for people who will be aligned with the goals you have set for yourself. People are looking for you as much as you're looking for them. 

7. I Don't Have the Money

This the biggest excuse on the list. In fact, most people make the other excuses to avoid admitting this one. The fact is that we all have money, but we have to learn how to use it. Most people simply don't want to use their creativity to make their dreams happen. 
I started my business with an excess of $100,000 in debt. However, I believed in my plan and I began to raise the capital. You can only succeed if you have a way of attaining money to sustain your dream. We all think about money every day, but we need the right thoughts about it. When the mind is ready, the money will come. 

Bonus: I'm Not the Right Sex or Race

Many women still believe that there is a glass ceiling. Some minorities also feel like they are still enslaved. However, Oprah said, "Excellence is the best deterrent to racism and sexism." Truly, the universe doesn't care what race or sex you are. All it wants is your best efforts, which is the usage of your genius. 
Are you using any of these excuses? If so, check yourself before you wreck yourself. There is nothing in the world that can stop you, except yourself.  When you get past these excuses, you will be able to live an unlimited life and experience the abundance which is always available to you. Remember, if you believe in yourself, everyone in the world will believe in you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment